Finasteride, which can be purchased online as brand Propecia, is a medication that is used in the treatment of hair loss or more specifically male pattern baldness. The drug is a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor that can also be used in the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or enlarged prostate.
The drug is used with a prescription and under medical supervision. This ensures that it is consumed in a safe manner and also in the most effective way. This is the only FDA-approved hair loss medication that is used orally. The long-term use of Finasteride can result in the stopping of excessive hair fall and also promotes new hair growth in place of the lost ones.
How can Finasteride be effective?
It is at its effective best when it is consumed as intended. The drug may be taken in the 1mg or 5mg dosage. The dosing does not depend on whether you have consumed food or not. Rather, it is important that the single dose is taken at the same time every day. This helps to maintain the effects of the drug in the system and also in preventing you from forgetting the dose. The 1mg dose is sufficient for most individuals, though some persons may see better results with the stronger 5mg dose.
What are the things you need to take care of while on Finasteride?
This drug use is completely safe as long as you are aware of a few important precautions.
- Those who are allergic to the active ingredient should avoid taking it.
- The hair loss medication is not indicated for use in women or children under the age of 18.
- If a pregnant woman comes into contact with the broken or crushed pills, the area should be washed immediately to prevent absorption of the drug.
- Talk to your doctor about all your health issues, especially conditions of the prostate, liver, and bladder.
- In case the dose is missed, it may be taken at the earliest or skipped entirely if it is closer to the time for the next scheduled dose. Most importantly, do not take more than the recommended dosage amount. A suspected drug overdose should be treated right away to prevent any unwanted side effects.
Side effects caused by Finasteride
Users should visit the doctor regularly to check for side effects. Some users have reported experiencing sexual side effects from using the hair loss medication, which can be avoided by seeking timely treatment. The most common effects that the individual is likely to experience are
- A headache
- A runny nose
- Skin rash.
Inform the doctor without delay if there are any signs of
- Breast cancer like lumps
- Discharge from the nipples or
- Any other changes in the breast.
It is also possible to experience sexual side effects long after Finasteride has been discontinued. Keep a watch out for any such symptoms.